Friday, November 30, 2012

Saving terminal sessions

It's really frustrating when you're working on a coding project, opening all your nice tabs in the terminal in tmux to make your workflow awesome, and then for one reason or another your computer turns off. You lose all of your tabs in your terminal and have to reconstruct them, spending some time re-learning where things are mapped to in your terminal. I would love for there to be a terminal that preserves itself against a system reboot - when your computer turns back on for your terminal to reconstruct it's state.

A few suggestions I've gotten:

  • Use tmux

http://blog.edsantiago.com/articles/tmux-session-preserve/
http://robots.thoughtbot.com/post/2641409235/a-tmux-crash-course
Turns out, I already do. I tested this after a reboot and the tmux sessions don't get saved. This could have been because the last reboot I did was a linux kernel update, but I'm not sure.

  • Use the KDE terminal emulator. There might be something good there, but I need to read a bit more about it before I try it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment